Saturday, July 5, 2014

Support - #45: the patella dream catcher

I am actually sad to be wrapping up attending physical therapy for the last six months for a knee injury.  Had some good conversations and laughs there and successfully worked hard to avoid surgery.  So I wanted to make a unique goodbye / remembrance gift for my physical therapist.  My injury was patella-related so I figured it would be a good place to start.

I gathered all pictures and text related to the patella from my various biology and medical terminology books as well as some barbie legs for good measure.



As I was playing around with different layout ideas, I remembered that I had a large wooden ring that came with some other hoops in an embroidery grab bag from a thrift store, and that I wanted to use it in something I made.  Once I placed the graphics in the circle, it seemed to flow that the legs would be attached and then it started to look like a dream catcher to me.  All items were placed on top of a stock paper design.


Using a brush to mod-podge this type of layout is pretty much impossible.  So I used a spray adhesive, which I actually really don't like doing, to give the paper the first layer it needed to remain in place for the more thorough brushed layer.  A cut cardboard circle was used as backing and in between the layers I taped the green jute attached to the legs and for the hanging loop.  All was sealed with mod-podge.



I can't wait to see his face.

No comments:

Post a Comment