I gathered all pictures and text related to the patella from my various biology and medical terminology books as well as some barbie legs for good measure.
As I was playing around with different layout ideas, I remembered that I had a large wooden ring that came with some other hoops in an embroidery grab bag from a thrift store, and that I wanted to use it in something I made. Once I placed the graphics in the circle, it seemed to flow that the legs would be attached and then it started to look like a dream catcher to me. All items were placed on top of a stock paper design.
Using a brush to mod-podge this type of layout is pretty much impossible. So I used a spray adhesive, which I actually really don't like doing, to give the paper the first layer it needed to remain in place for the more thorough brushed layer. A cut cardboard circle was used as backing and in between the layers I taped the green jute attached to the legs and for the hanging loop. All was sealed with mod-podge.
I can't wait to see his face.