Sunday, July 27, 2014

Cohesive - #81-83: the bezels and resin

I am becoming somewhat obsessed with resins and bezels.  I want to pour the stuff on everything and have it harden into an unexpected adornment. For this round, I decided to make two necklaces and a pair of earrings and again used ice resin by SLK.  The earrings were filled with crushed shells while the necklaces were filled with paper, origami for the smaller one and stock paper for the large one, as well as charms and beads.

Creating a doming effect with the resin is a multi-step process.  There must first be the initial application of resin which will need to harden thoroughly if not completely.  Once the first layer has solidified, another layer of resin is added VERY slowly and drop by drop.  I made the mistake of adding too quickly and had an awful resin mess with these pieces before I was able to recover and successfully get the dome shape.  Here are the pendants and earrings hardening after the second application.

I combined and added more embellishments than I feel I normally do, particularly for the necklaces.  I have a lot of beads and I want to start using more of them on strands with various methods.  With the larger necklace (which I had a hard time convincing myself to put up for sale), the beads are stacked on a black leather thong with thin bead separators and some ribbon lace and metal charms were used to embellish.

For the smaller necklace, I revisited head pins to make each bead its own loops.  I had forgotten how much I like head pins.  Purple o-rings added nice bits of contrasting color to the chain and beads.

The earrings were embellished with a bit of white cord and blue o-rings.

Abyss - #79-80: the sea urchin backbone set

One of my favorite local jewelry supply stores caries a drool-worthy amount of beads made out of bone, antler, glass, and other of my favorite materials.  They also carry sea urchin backbones and I have seen some lovely jewelry made from this.  I wanted to incorporate them into a necklace and earring set while paying homage to the sea.  I did so by also adding fossilized shark teeth, plastic pearls, and by using a sea green wire, ribbon, and o-rings for accents.

The backbones and shark teeth were bought already drilled.  The square and round bead charms are amazonite and riverstone. 


I have redesigned #47 and #48.

Friday, July 25, 2014

Mod - #74-78: the Beatles set

It was suggested to me that I should consider making some Beatles themed pieces in honor of this being their 50th anniversary year.  So I shopped around town one afternoon and found a decent book of old Beatles photographs as a source book and also a few cute British-themed charms.

I have really been wanting to try out inserting things into bezels and then filling them with hardening resin. There are really convenient and cheap ways to do the resin now and I was able to find something like that in the Susan Lenart Kazmer (I am a fan) line of products called ice resin. I decided to do a Beatles-themed bezel charm bracelet this way.

It really couldn't have been easier. The resin and hardener are pushed out in equal amounts and must be stirred and rest for a few minutes and then dripped into the bezels containing the paper.  It hardens completely over a few days.  The bezels and other charms were then added to chain with the addition of a toggle closure.


Next up were two bracelets that were bought already made but then modified with decoupaged pictures of beetles and the Beatles, one with color and the other black and white.



Finally, there were two sets of earrings done which included charms from a British-themed collection.


Avia - #73: the custom cranes

This was a requested custom wall hang inspired in part by #56.  The main design element was to be the presence of 6 cranes.  Materials included a 12" long wood piece, stock paper, a photograph of Shell Falls in Wyoming, metal frame bits, eye screws, and a length of chain.  New techniques used for this wall hang included splicing background stock paper with the waterfall photograph, painting with chalk paint, plus a combination of sealing, sanding, and waxing / wiping with multiple colors of creme wax.  The eye screws were inserted into the sides for the hanging chain.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Trinket - #71-72: the mini bottle set

I love this set.  Originally, it was just going to be the necklace but I found the perfect little bottles that worked as matching earrings.  The larger necklace bottle was found in an AK tourist paraphernalia section of a grocery store and I emptied out the contents in order to fill it with little bits of various things for making a cute bottle pendant.

The design goal for the necklace was to try a new technique adding buttons for a chain and combining them with a leather thong and bit of chain for the complete necklace.  It was easier than I thought it would be and I think turned out well.  The buttons were included with some great found-object donations from family and I plan to try to incorporate buttons more with pretty much everything.

The bottle contains rolled French text from an ephemera pack, a bit of red ribbon, and some colored beads. The necklace and earring bottles are topped with copper colored eye screw hooks.

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Dulcet - #69-70: the coordinated bag and shoes

I have had it in mind to design a color coordinated set of shoes and matching bag. On a recent thrift store trip, these brown Mossimo pumps caught my eye because I am a sucker for anything wingtip. They weren't even close to being my size, but they were too cute to pass up and I knew I could do something cool with them.  When I got them home, I realized that they perfectly matched with a brown Fossil crossbody bag I already owned.  So this had to be a coordinated set.

I then chose a dark green paint and colorblocked the bag and shoes before using a sealer for a smooth finish. Really like the results.