Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Sheath - #55: the side table drawer

Everyday furniture and objects are at high risk of being transformed into something else while around me. For this piece, a boring solid white side table drawer...


...has a new life as...


So how did this happen???

Well, first I removed some hardware and the front of the drawer and then started with some simple layouts working with a few ideas to see what would come together.



I knew I wanted to use some scrap fur as a border but that it would need to be trimmed and cleaned up.  I also had it in mind to use some caribou antlers against a background that could pull together the earthy elements of fur, antler, and butterflies. The twine-hung bottle of beads + .38-special shell casings and the ribbon around the bottom of the antlers seemed to combine well. What I needed then was a complementary paint color before anything else could be done.


And here is the progression from adding the stock background paper to getting the trimmed fur border in place.


Close ups of the beads and shell casings bottle and of the inner details of the drawer.



Side views...

  

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. It was a fun project to bring together and I intend to do more with similar elements. 

Except trimming and placing the fur border. That was a pain in the ass.


No comments:

Post a Comment