Monday, June 9, 2014

Rumpus - #18-23: the polymer 6

I have now officially ventured off into polymer clay territory. And I love it.

Began with 5 simple earring shapes and 1 pendant shape (Mr. O's hand) which were cut from rolled out black Sculpey clay using a needle tool. I baked them at 275 for about 25 minutes (gave it a little extra time than the recommended 15 minutes due to having a full pan). Before baking them, I used olive oil (what I had on hand) to smooth out finger prints and rough edges. This seems like a step that HAS to be done with some kind of oil if you want decent looking pieces. 





After they were cooled, I spent a few hours experimenting with a hodgepodge of decorating supplies. My pattern eventually became something like: coat of acrylic + a few different eyeshadow colors rubbed in for effect. I also used decoupage on a couple sets and everything was sealed with multiple coats of matte sealer.

If you're wondering about the eyeshadow...  I don't have any mica on hand and I recently read that eyeshadow is a great substitute. Luckily, I had a number of colors to choose from and they all seemed to add a nice iridescent effect.



Then I started to do mock-ups in my working space...




 Results...
















Overall, I am really pleased with how these have turned out and I am looking forward to a lot of future work with polymer clay.

No comments:

Post a Comment